downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...
This blog is no longer being updated
The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.
Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!
Thursday, 16 August 2012
ROK Comics expands its audio comics range
ROK Comics has announced the expansion of its audio comics range, with Team M.O.B.I.L.E., Houdini now on sale for iPad, iPhone and Android devices – and many more titles in the works.
All ROK Comics titles deliver great comic content, enhanced by a fully authored audio soundtrack and other features that only digital comics can fully exploit, including animation and, in the case of its music comics range, music videos.
Says ROK CEO Jonathan Kendrick: “ROK is pioneering the creation and delivery of original audio comic books across a range of new titles and we are delighted to be bringing comic books to life in this dynamic way via the latest technologies.”
Sales of digital comics are growing rapidly, but many are simply re-formats of existing print titles which fail to take advantage of the opportunities offered by digital devices. ROK has embraced the new medium head on, delivering not just great comics but extras that will appeal to all ages now well used in the potential of modern media.
“With all the extras, we wanted to complement the comic storytelling that make a comic a comic,” says editor John Freeman, “but add new elements that will give the stories even greater appeal.
“We’re hoping our carefully-created titles will appeal outside of comic fandom. We’ve had feedback from parents who tell us our audio comics are a great help with children coming to grips with learning to read for example.
Available now for free are Team M.O.B.I.L.E. #1, Team M.O.B.I.L.E. #2 and Houdini #1 – with many more comics in the works.
• An ongoing adventure comic, Team M.O.B.I.L.E. centres on the story of teenagers recruited into a secret organisation to battle crime, terrorism and other dangers – some stranger than others. The series was created by Jonathan Kendrick and features art by Andrew Chiu.
• Houdini is an ongoing adventure comic recounting all-new adventures of the world’s greatest escape artist. Written by magician Jamie Allan Nicklin and composer and script writer Simon Wheeler, the launch issue features art by the highly-regarded Spanish artists Rafael Broseta and David Belmonte.
The comic includes exclusive videos revealing magician’s secrets – some included for free, some offered as in-app purchase.
• Tomorrow We Live, a gritty no-holds-barred action adventure set in a world of jaded spies and dangerous villains, adapted from a story by Simon Piers Thurlow and Hollywood screen writers Shawn Curran and George Sanders by Mike Collins, acclaimed artist on several titles for Marvel and DC Comics, as well as Doctor Who Magazine
• The Beatles Story, an eight-issue limited digital series collecting, in full, the stunning creator-owned comic co-created by Angus Allan and Arthur Ranson, which will include rare video of the Beatles
• The Elvis Story, an eight-issue limited digital series by Angus Allan and Arthur Ranson telling revealing the legend of the King, never re-published since its first appearance in British comic Look-In in the 1980s
• Ex Astris, an amazing science fiction comic set in the far future on an Earth transformed by alien intervention and environmental disaster, by Bill Storie
ROK is also publishing a number of “music comics”, featuring audio-enhanced comic strip, videos and other bonus material, including:
• Rick Fury, an ongoing “action music comic” starring an alternate version of one of Britain’s best-known emcees, written by Rick himself with art by Marc Olivent
• Banned Across the Universe… In space, no-one can hear you sing – unless you pretend you’re someone famous, and probably dead! An ongoing action-humour strip by John Freeman and Kev Levell
• ZeZi: The Story so Far, a bio-comic about the Birmingham-based rap band, scripted by Jasper Bark and drawn by Andrew Chiu
• OG Niki: The Story So Far, a bio-comic about the controversial British rapper OG Niki, scripted by Jasper Bark and drawn by Marc Olivent
• Joe Whelan: The Story So Far, a bio-comic about the amazing Heavy Metal guitarist, scripted by Jasper Bark and drawn by Marvel Comics artist Giancarlo Caracuzzo