downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...

This blog is no longer being updated

The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.

Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy Birthday, 2000AD! From art droid Boo Cook


Name: Boo Cook

Blog:  www.boocook.blogspot.com

Tumblr: http://boocook.tumblr.com

Tumblr: http://cro-magnonbulletin.tumblr.com


Currently working on: 

I'm currently working on a new five-part Judge Anderson, Psi strip called 'Stone Voices' with Alan Grant. That should be surfacing in the Judge Dredd Megazine in the summer... aside from that, i have regular cover duties ongoing for Richard Starkings' Elephantmen comic over at Image.

I've got various other bits and bobs in the pipeline, but it's too early to mention them yet... fingers crossed!

First memory of 2000AD?

My first memory of 2000AD was sifting through a stack of back progs at my pals Tom and Ian's house in Devon when I was 9. i can remember being totally blown away by the sheer craziness of the "Judge Child Quest" and ABC Warriors and frankly had to get me some...

I got the 1982 2000AD annual for Christmas that year and had the comic sent to me by my Grandpa each week from then on... I need a spare room just for my progs!

Favourite Character or Story?

I love Dredd. who doesn't? My favourite story for him has to be the whole Block Mania/Apocalypse War saga I think, but actually if I really had to name my favourite all time character it would have to be Johnny Alpha/Strontium Dog, with Wulf Sternhammer coming a close second. I always read Dredd last in the weekly comic, unless Johnny is in the prog , then he gets the fabled slot.

Strontium Dog has had so many amazing story arcs i'd struggle to name all my faves, but "Rage", "Portrait of a Mutant", "The Killing", that crazy "Moses Quest" story... I could go on all night!

What do you like most about the 2000AD?

The thing that really works for me about 2000AD is its unflinching approach to experimental and groundbreaking strips. I think the secret of its success is that it just keeps on pushing and inventing newer and crazier strips and characters.

The old staple heroes are treated with respect, and new ideas are always given a chance to flourish - since its birth right up to the present day Tharg and his editorial minions have had a brilliant policy of giving creators free reign with their ideas and really nurturing new talent - many of whom have gone on to be some of the biggest names in comics.

What would you most like to see in 2000AD as it heads to its Forties?

More of the same! Johhny Alpha is currently back in the prog, but if they could work out a credible way to bring Wulf back too I'd be a happy cyber bunny.

If you worked on 2000AD, do you have an anecdote you'd like to share about your experience of Tharg and his minions?

I have loads of anecdotes about the 2000AD crew to tell, from Colin MacNeil's wife punching Dom Reardon over a hedge to Al Ewing's amazing dance moves.

But many of them are terribly damning and incriminating(!) so i'll just pay my birthday respects to the comic itself by saying; since I was 10 it has been like a brother to me, a massive part of my life. My Grandpa probably had little idea that he was filling my brain sci-fi rocket fuel that would instil a crazed yet balanced moral code in me that will last a lifetime.

Since those early days it has become my job and my passion for it and sci-fi in general hasn't dwindled in the slightest.

It is part of my core, and without it I wouldn't have met the most amazing person on the planet: my lovely wife. We met exactly 10 years ago at the 2000AD 25th birthday celebration at the Ministry of Sound in London.

So Tharg.... I SALUTE YOU!!!

• This post is one in a series of tributes to 2000AD to mark its 35th birthday on 26th February 2012. More about 2000AD at www.2000adonline.com

2000AD © Rebellion

No comments:

Latest News on downthetubes.net

Contact downthetubes

• Got a British Comics News Story? E-mail downthetubes!

• Publishers: please contact for information on where to post review copies and other materials: editor@downthetubes.net

Click here to subscribe to our RSS NewsFeed

Powered by  FeedBurner