Commando No 4487: Mission To Patagonia
Story: Alan Hebden Art: Benet Cover: Benet
November 1982, a British Geological Survey team in the Antarctic make an extraordinary find - a downed Vulcan bomber. News of this amazing discovery brings Lieutenant Nick Tarrant of the SAS to the scene. There soon emerges the story of a clandestine operation that took place during the height of the Falklands War.
The top secret tale of the... Mission To Patagonia!
Story: Mac MacDonald Art: Carlos Pino Cover: Carlos Pino
Remember the antics of Hitler and Monty…? Or to give them their proper names, Fuhrer and Field-Marshal lookalikes Max Singer and Sid O'Brien. Well, they're back for another madcap (mis)adventure - this time involving the SS, Soviets, Scotsmen and even Scousers in South America. Don't worry it'll all make sense… probably.
Our death-defying doubles are in triple the danger and triple the trouble. But will this be their finest hour, or their final fling…?
Originally Commando No 24 (May 1962)
Story: Elliot Art: Ortiz Cover: Ken Barr
Red is the colour of courage. Like the ribbon of the Victoria Cross; like the blood that heroes spill; like the famous Red Beret of the Parachute Regiment, whose amazing story this is.
Meet in these pages Cobber Kane, tough, wise-cracking Australian; Sergeant. Jim Parker, steady as a rock; “Blood 'n' Guts” Sanders, the hard-bitten RSM, whose one aim in battle was a VC to pin next to his MM…the kind of heroes who have made the Red Beret the badge of courage it is.
"Ken Barr's cover sets your expectations for this story" says Commando Editor Calum Laird of this re-presented tale. "The single figure, gun in hand, grenades at the ready and with a thick black outline to throw the image out, lets you know this is going to be an all-action story. If you were in any doubt, though, the first page, by Ortiz, with its dramatic title lettering underlines the cover's promise.
"The story, penned by Elliot, doesn't disappoint - any story where members of the Parachute Regiment capture and take over a Tiger tank has to be a winner.
"And yet, it doesn't shy away from war's darker side. In this story good men die, friends are lost, as conflict takes its toll. And that's maybe not what you would expect."
Commando 4490 - The Silver Collection: Full Speed Ahead!
Originally Commando No 2077 (April 1987)
Story: Malcolm McDevitt Art: Keith Shone Cover: Jeff Bevan
The Channel war against the German E-boats was a tough one and Andy Simpson relished the task. From the chaos of Dunkirk to the Battle of Britain he was in the thick of the action. But he had an even more difficult problem ahead of him - to admit he could make mistakes.
"This is a traditional sea story, which Commando has always done well," notes Commando Deputy Editor Scott Mlontgomery. "In the aftermath of Dunkirk, Lieutenant-Commander Andy Simpson, a motor torpedo boat skipper who has to make a split-second decision - and may well have made the wrong one - must face up to what he has done, however difficult this may be.
"Artist Keith Shone's thick black lines are reminiscent of the style of our Spanish veterans, like Manuel Benet, for example. While Jeff Bevan proves once again that he was king of the sea covers - with those pale, watery colours offset by a striking explosion."
• The Draw Your Weapons exhibition featuring art from Commando continues at the National Army Museum in London until 30th April 2012. For the latest information visit: www.nam.ac.uk/exhibitions/special-displays/draw-your-weapons-art-commando-comics
• Official Commando web site: http://www.commandocomics.com
• Commando Official Facebook page
• Click here for subscription information or write to: D.C. Thomson & Co Ltd, The Subscribers Department, Commando Library, 80 Kingsway East, Dundee DD4 8SL or Freephone (UK only) 0800 318846
• Commando is also available for iPad and iPhone. The apps are free to download through the Apple iTunes App Store and a digital subscription is priced at £4.99 per month, compared to a £99 annual print subscription. For those not sure there are four free issues to download prior to making a purchase.
• Commando Comics iPhone App on iTunes
• Commando Comics iPad App on iTunes