Continuing ‘Women in Comics’ month on podcast Panel Borders - and originally broadcast on Resonance FM - this week Alex Fitch talks to Emma Vieceli, illustrator of the Manga Shakespeare adaptations of Hamlet and Much ado about Nothing who has also contributed to the graphic anthology ‘Comic Book Tattoo’ which adapts the songs of Tori Amos into strip format.
Alex and Emma also talk about the crossover between traditional Western comics and Manga as a new generation of small press creators in the UK experiment with both forms, a practice that is encouraged by the ‘Artists Alley’ that Emma helps organise at the twice yearly MCM Expos in the Docklands and the publishing collective ‘Sweatdrop studios’ that she’s a member of.
• For more info about this podcast and a variety of formats you can stream or download, please visit the home of this episode at www.archive.org
• Emma’s website and livejournal
• More info about Manga Shakespeare
• ‘Sweatdrop studios’: website and Manga day at the V & A
• Vote for Sweatdrop and Leek and Sushi’s Manga Show in the NEO Awards
• Panel Border on Facebook / follow Panel Borders on twitter