downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...
This blog is no longer being updated
The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.
Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!
Thursday, 11 October 2012
Hunt Emerson invades the iPad as Only He Can
According to comics historian Paul Gravett's 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die Hunt Emerson is "Britain's greatest underground cartoonist". According to the The Comics Journal his mind "works on a level untouched by most humans". According to the French he is, with Robert Crumb and Gilbert Shelton, one of the legends of underground comics.
According to his mum, he's still a lovely boy.
Now in celebration of over 35 years of cartooning madness, digital publisher Panel Nine has released The Certified Hunt Emerson - a smashing collection of his incredible work (can you tell I'm a fan of his work, yet?). The collection - available now for iPad - features over 200 pages of the finest cartoons and comics from Emerson's warped mind.
Amongst the 27 different strips included in The Certified Hunt Emerson are his collaboration with Alan Moore on Leviticus, his take on Gilbert Shelton's Freak Brothers, the adventures of cats Firkin and Calculus, Puss Puss, Alan the Rabbit and much, much more.
The comprehensive set of extras includes audio commentaries and introductions to the strips by Hunt, a stunning cover gallery spanning over three decades, a gallery of self-portraits, a special section of astounding illustrations that have rarely or never been seen, and an exclusive interview with the artist for this collection that includes embarrassing photos of Hunt and comics creators such as Bryan Talbot and Robert Crumb.
Priced at only $9.99 / £6.99, the collection is, the publisher believes, a mind-warpingly attractive bargain.
• Specially-designed Panel Mode where you can double-tap on comics pages to zoom in and swipe from panel to panel
• Audio commentary synchronized with selected pages, recorded by Hunt Emerson exclusively for the app
• Beautiful high-quality digital images, with a specially-designed user interface that gives you fast, smooth swiping from page to page and flawless pixel-per-second movement
• Visual contents and bookmarks that let you view thumbnails of all pages and navigate quickly and easily
• High-resolution JPEGs and PDFs to enable users to zoom in to panels at up to three times the original size without loss of resolution
• Introductory notes to each comic strip written by the artist