The latest issue of Eagle Times for Winter 2010 is on available now and has the usual intriguing mix of Eagle comic-related goodies to offer, including a profile of the artist Brian Lewis, whose work included strips for Eagle, 2000AD, Countdown and House of Hammer.
• Not all Lancashire Lads and Lasses - a brief article on the genealogy of ('Dan Dare' creator) Frank Hampson
• The Life of Another Brian - memories about the brilliant illustrator Brian Lewis, who among his prolific output drew 'Home of the Wanderers' and 'Mann of Battle' for Eagle in the 1960s
• The Incredible Shrinking Fish - a critical examination of the giant sea creatures that appear in the classic 'Dan Dare' story 'The Man From Nowhere'
• Sammy: Swift's Space Fleet Cadet - takes a look at the strip in Eagle's companion paper Swift that was drawn by 'Dan Dare' artists Bruce Cornwell and Desmond Walduck, and drew heavily on the imagery of 'Dan Dare'
• From Under the 1950s Christmas Tree - taking a look at the various Eagle and 'Dan Dare' stencil sets that were available for children in the 1950s
• Visual memories of the 37th World Science Fiction Convention, Seacon '79, which was held in Brighton in 1979 - with guests who included Frank Hampson and Arthur C Clarke.
For a full list of contents, visit the Eagle Times blog. The issue also includes a review of Dan Dare - The Biography by Daniel Tatarsky and the Eagle Annuals between 1961 and 1971, published after the takeover of Hulton Press.
• Membership of The Eagle Society is via Annual Subscription to Eagle Times magazine, which is published four times annually. The Subscription rate for 2011 is held at the 2010 rate (UK £23, Overseas £34 - payment in £s Sterling, please).
Early applications for 2011 (ie before 31st December 2010) are offered a discount saving of £2 off the above rates. Postal applications to: Keith Howard, 25A Station Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 2UA. If you wish to pay by Paypal the Society request an additional payment of £1. Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy 30th Birthday, Combat Colin! - Huge congratulations to longtime British comics creator Lew Stringer this morning, whose much-loved clumsy combat hero Combat Colin celebrates 30 years of ...
15 hours ago